Key verses: Revelation 3:14-22.
The name Laodecia – means the people ruling! God isn’t so there is a head but not a heart acknowledgment, they do not understand God’s righteousness of holiness and obedience. Some are not ‘born again’, they have a religious outlook but not one of relationship from the heart.
They sit unsaved in churches week in and week out. Some resist as they did with our Lord when He came the first time, they are in type foolish virgins. The rest are as follows:-
1) Lukewarm saints – Lukewarm means to be tepid, not zealous, indifferent!
“Thou art neither hot nor cold”– verse 15.
2) Spiritual feebleness – weak, deficient in character, lacking in energy.
“I will vomit thee out of My mouth”– verse 16.
3) Compromising fashionable churches – to have conflicting opinions, to follow the fashion of others, to conform to society. The emerging church scenario that we are seeing.
“I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing” – verse 17.
“Thou are wretched and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked”– verse 17.
4) Backslidden believers – a relapse into sin.
“Be zealous therefore, and repent”– verse 19.
5) A social gospel without real repentance – to have a general human standard without feeling regret, without being penitent or contrite.
“Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if any man hear My voice and open the door, I will come in to him”– verse 20.
6) A lack of holiness, without a reverential fear of God – to be found wanting, to have a deficiency in consecration, which is devotion to God.
“To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me” – verse 21.
“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.”– verse 22.
The above 6 points show us the condition of the type of church and the last Church Age of the 7 that our Lord speaks of.
This then is their Condemnation and there is no Commendation which is the opposite of the faithful Philadelphia churches who are commended but have no condemnation over them. This church shows us disciples, steadfast and true to the Faith once and for all given. It is about Forward ever Forward, Onward and Upward in Him who called us.
Date : 30/11/-0001