The two great enemies of the Gospel are Theistic Evolution and Philosophical Theories. Both are of human origin, both are the thoughts of men directed through the doctrines (teachings) of demons who want to confuse to lead away from the authority of God’s Word. Man is a fallen creature separated from his Creator who does not want to accept God’s authority in all matters. Of course doubters will immediately point to the evidences of the various sciences, geology, paleontology, biology etc.
We shall examine all these over our studies and by searching out (using midrash) to contrast and compare the Scriptures, the Facts for our Faith will shine forth. As it is written ‘the truth will set us free’ and ‘the rocks shall cry out’ the praises of our Creator God, the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Holy Scriptures teach us to examine the root and test the fruit of all things. We are going to see that some men suppress (or hold back) the truth in unrighteousness – Romans 1:18. We are also warned by Peter in his epistle to watch out for false teachers which includes false science or facts. (see 2 Peter 2:1-2)
The scriptures contain much wisdom and our Lord’s parable about building on solid rock and not sinking sands is very apt. Again we can read pure wisdom in Psalm 11 verse 3 – ‘if the foundations are destroyed what can the righteous do?’ This then is what has happened to the Church, she has adopted the teachings of men instead of the bedrock of Holy Writ. As believers maturing into disciples we must recognise the authority of God’s Word which has never been disproved. So it comes down to either believing God or believing men whose teachings have changed over the centuries. God’s Word has remained steadfast and true over the ages. Doubters doubt and believers believe.
So you either have a biblical view or a world view depending on whose authority you accept. We cannot compromise and conform as that leads to error, contamination and corruption sadly follow. There is one God and one way, one path of thought that conforms to Scripture and not what men think! There is a battle going on for truth, there is a battle going on for souls. The Devil is a liar and comes to rob and steal and from the beginning he cast doubt over God’s Word and has done so ever since.
The opening chapter of the Bible stands diametrically opposed to the various humanistic philosophies.
The believer takes his stand on solid rock (biblical truth) and not on the sifting sands of human opinion. The bedrock of the Holy Bible is our position and we can answer as follows:-
1. In opposition to Atheism (disbelief) – In the beginning God
2. In opposition to Polytheism (many gods) – In the beginning God
3. In opposition to Pantheism (everything is God) – In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth
4. In opposition to Materialism (nothing exists but matter) – Let us make man in our image.
Nb. Man has a spiritual nature.
5. In opposition to Evolution (everything has evolved and still is evolving) – After its kind
Nb. This expression occurs 12 times and locks each kind into its own category.
6. In opposition to Naturalism (pure natural basis or realistic method that excludes the spiritual) – In the beginning God created
Nb. Matter is not eternal, second law of thermodynamics.
7. In opposition to Nihilism (no order of things) – And God created and blessed Nb. Man is more than a machine operating within a meaningless system.
8. In opposition to Existentialism (to continue being, mode of existence) – And God said (10 times), And God saw (7 times), the evening and the morning were (6 times). And it was so (1:30).
There is then a historical basis for our Faith. The Holy Bible deals with concrete facts seen around us.
Key Verses: Genesis 1:28-31; 2:8-17.
1. This is the first of ‘8’ Covenants within the Holy Scriptures.
2. A Covenant is an agreement or contract between God and mankind or Israel.
3. Each Covenant is normally self-contained, self explanatory and exclusive.
The Edenic Covenant is concerned with man’s life in the Garden of Eden (Gan Eden).
1. THE PROVISIONS OF THE COVENANT.
(A) Man’s duties explained via:
Parental — ie. Multiply and fill the earth.
Pastoral — ie. Adam was to be both gardener and guardian.
(B) Man’s diet explained — it was to be a strictly vegetarian diet.
(C) Man’s domain explained — Adam was given dominion over God’s creation.
Note the threefold aspect from a triune God.
2. THE PROHIBITION OF THE COVENANT.
Only one — not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil.
Key Verse: Genesis 3:14-19.
The Adamic Covenant was given to Adam after the Fall and is concerned with the new conditions imposed by God within a sin cursed world.
1. NEW LAWS.
(A) DOOM PRONOUNCED.
1. On the serpent.
2. On the soil.
1. On the woman — sorrow and subservience.
2. On the man — sorrow and sweat.
(B) DEATH PROCLAIMED.
(C) DELIVERANCE PROPHESIED.
1. Here is the first prophecy of our Saviour – The Seed of the woman.
2. And the first provision of a substitute — the sinners clothed with skins.
2. NEW LIMITATIONS.
(A) Cherubim were placed in Eden as a barrier to the Tree of Life.
(B) God and man were now separated through the barrier of sin.
The First Creation can be seen as a Type of the New Creation as mentioned in 2 Cor 5:17, Gal 6:15, Ephesians 2:10 and Ephesians 4:24.
|1st DAY||‘Let there be light’||ILLUMINATION|
|Compare Hebrews 10:32, 2 Cor 4:6, Ephesians 5:8.|
|2nd DAY||‘Let there be a firmament’||SEPARATION|
|Compare Gal 1:4, John 17:16, 2 Cor 6:14.|
|3rd DAY||‘Let the dry land appear’||RESURRECTION|
|Compare Eph 2:5, Col 3:1, Phil 3:10-11.|
|4th DAY||‘Let there be light’||IMPARTATION|
|(Light never shines for its own sake but for the benefit of others)
Compare the Sun and Malachi 4:2, John 9:5.
Compare the Moon and Song of Solomon 6:10, Matthew 5:14.
Compare the Stars and Philippians 2:15, 1 Cor 15:41, Daniel 12:3.
|5th DAY||‘Let the waters bring forth’||MANIFESTATION|
|Compare the believer’s through the world -1 Peter 2:11, Phil 3:12-14, Psalm 84:7.
Compare the believer’s ability to rise above the world — Exodus 19:4, Isaiah 40:31, Col 3:1.
|6th DAY||‘Let us make man’||CONFORMATION|
|Compare Romans 8:29, Phil 3:21, 1 John 3:2.|
|7h DAY||‘And God rested’||SATISFACTION|
|Compare Psalm 103:5, Psalm 36:8, Psalm 17:15.|
‘In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shall surely die.’ Genesis 2:17.
1. SIN is a FATAL DISEASE. This is the operation of PHYSICAL LAW. James 1:15.
2. SIN is a TERRIBLE MASTER. This is the operation of ECONOMIC LAW. Romans 6:23.
3. SIN is a PUNISHABLE OFFENCE. This is the operation of CRIMINAL LAW. Ezek 18:20.
Compare Genesis 2:18-25 with Ephesians 5:30-32.
1. Earth’s ruler in Solitude – none to share his glory. Genesis 2:18.
2. The Divine Purpose for the man – a helper for him. Genesis 2:18.
3. The means to accomplish it – a deep sleep. Genesis 2:21.
(Note that this is the emblem of death)
4. The Wounded Side of the man – not a bone broken. Genesis 2:21.
(Note how the second Adam was wounded for us)
5. The Bride formed out of the man – she was made. Genesis 2:22.
(Note that the Hebrew word translated made literally means built).
In Revelation 21:9-10 the glorified Church is seen both as a Bride and as a City built by the man Christ Jesus our Lord and Creator.
Genesis 3:14-19 and Romans 5:12.
Seven Words – fulfilled in Christ on the Cross (He bore on the tree the sentence for me).
|Sentence:||on the Sinner||on the Saviour|
|SWEAT||Gen 3:19||Luke 22:44|
|THORNS||Gen 3:18||John 19:2|
|CURSE||Gen 3:!7||Galatians 3:13|
|SORROW||Gen 3:17||Lamentations 1:12|
|BRUISE||Gen 3:15||Isaiah 53:10|
|SWORD||Gen 3:24||Zechariah 13:7|
|DUST||Gen 3:19||Psalm 22:15|
|1. THE SINNER’S DRESS||Fig leaves||Man made and cheap. Gen 3:7.
(xf Filthy rags. Isaiah 64:6)
|2. THE BELIEVER’S COAT||Coats of Skin
|God given and costly. Gen 3:21
(The best robe. Luke 15:21-22)
|3. THE PRIESTLY DRESS||White Robes||Blood washed and clean.
|4. THE PILGRIM’S ATTIRE||White Garments||Spirit brought and Personal.
|nb. The World (James 1:27) and the Flesh (Jude 23) may defile them.|
|5. THE BRIDAL GOWN||Fine linen
clean and white
|Hand woven and Complete.
Genesis chapters 6, 7 and 8 compared to Romans chapters 1 to 8.
|Romans 1||Genesis 6:1-7, 11-13.||Man’s Depravity.|
|Romans 2||Genesis 6:8-10.||A God fearing few.|
|Romans 3||Genesis 6:14-22.||Salvation’s Plan.|
|Romans 4||Genesis 7:1-15.||Believing God’s Word.|
|Romans 5||Genesis 7:16-24.||Faith’s Security.|
|Romans 6||Genesis 8:1-15.||Through the Waters (Death & Resurrection)|
|Romans 7||Genesis 8:6-12||The Two Natures (clean and unclean)|
|Romans 8||Genesis 8:13-22||The New Creation|
|1. Where art thou?||Genesis 3:9||THE SINNER.|
|2. Where is the lamb for a burnt offering?||Genesis 22:7||THE SACRIFICE.|
|3. Man dies and where is he?||Job 14:10||THE SOUL.|
Date : 30/11/-0001